Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Welcome back!

Gentlemen,

Today I had the opportunity to meet with (most of) your parents. 
(If we didn't meet, I will connect with them soon.)

I look forward to seeing you tomorrow for our opening advisory homeroom at 8:00 a.m. in Room U219 - history hallway. 

My plan is to keep you posted on EA events as well as world news. I will also share content that I find inspiring. 

As your academic advisor, I am concerned about your health and well-being, your academics, and your extracurricular involvement. While I am also a coach to many of you in the spring, I want to be clear about academics first.

Please visit EA's Mission page - and review the objectives and points about Mind, Body, and Spirit. 

Our Mission statement:
Challenging and nurturing Mind, Body, and Spirit, we inspire boys and girls to lead lives of purpose, faith, and integrity.
Consider how your goals connect to this statement.
I will ask you to craft your own personal mission statement for this year. What is your sense of purpose? 

Hope you had a great summer and ready for school!

See you tomorrow,

Mr. O'Brien


P.S. In parent meetings today, I recommend three excellent books that I believe everyone should read, especially teachers, parents, and students. 


1. Daniel Pink, Drive 
The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us

Click here for full TED Talk by Daniel Pink



Plus Daniel Pink shares, perhaps, the best advice I've heard in a commencement speech at his alma mater Northwestern University.



2. Carol Dweck, Mindset: The New Psychology of Success

From Brainpickings post:

Fixed vs. Growth: 

The Two Basic Mindsets That Shape Our Lives



3. Susan Cain, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking

Click here for full TED Talk by Susan Cain

No comments:

Post a Comment